Senior Research Associate - Health Policy Research Center
OPTIMAL Solutions Group is inviting senior health policy researchers to join the Health Policy Research Center in conducting cutting edge projects in Medicaid, Medicare, health care performance measurement, substance abuse, mental health, and disabilities. Our current and past work has included studies on health care financing and organization, pay-for-performance incentive schemes, public health and disease prevention, injury epidemiology, fraud waste and abuse, adolescent and school health, community health, hospital and ambulatory care quality indicators, smoking, and reproductive health.
The Senior Research Associate would be responsible for managing complex projects at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and other departments of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (i.e. ACF, HRSA, and SAMHSA). Responsibilities include project management, including oversight of staff and the project budget, providing subject area expertise, overseeing, designing and performing sophisticated data analyses, and presenting results to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Substantive knowledge of the U.S. health care system (expertise in Medicaid and/or Medicare preferred);
- Strong analytical, qualitative, and quantitative abilities;
- Experience conducting complex analyses of health care systems;
- Experience managing large, complex projects and supervising team members;
- Demonstrated problem solving skills;
- Able to effectively communicate problems and results, orally and in writing;
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Self-motivated and interested in data-driven public policy analysis; and
- Experience with statistics and statistical software packages (such as SAS or STATA)
- Manage your time and that of your staff efficiently so as to maximize the contribution of each associate. Understand and communicate staffing and training needs in advance.
- Maintain awareness of advances and latest information as it pertains to your field of expertise. Be prepared to communicate this information to staff members within and beyond your department.
- Ensure that you and your staff are following the protocols policies and procedures of Optimal Solutions Group. Understand and respond to corporate deliverables in a timely manner.
- Conduct and administer fiscal operations, including financial planning budgets, authorizing expenditures, establishing rates for services, and coordinating financial reporting.
- Direct, supervise and evaluate work of staff members. Provide meaningful and relevant assessment of staff. Develop staff members through mentoring, clear instruction, sharing lessons learned, best practices and strong leadership. Hold staff accountable for performance and deliverables. Promote the development of staff members. Carefully document impact actions as defined by HR.
- Communicate progress, plans and needs to Optimal executive staff as needed and regularly at scheduled meetings. Coordinate interdepartmental functions with the appropriate members of Optimal staff.
- Continual exploration of innovation within your field, provide feedback on such innovations to staff and when appropriate those outside of staff.
- Communicate challenges and solutions to Optimal staff, executive management and client.
- Prepare and review progress reports, invoices, statements of work and contract modifications.
- Ensure timely and accurate time keeping practices.
- Make recommendations for staff attendance at conferences and training sessions. Identify speaker and topics for staff development sessions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others in an efficient manner.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Education and Experience: Ph.D. in Public Health, Health Policy, Economics, Public Policy, Statistics, or other relevant field. At least ten (10) years of experience working in relevant related areas.
Send your confidential resume and cover letter to: Jobs@OptimalSolutionsGroup.com with “Senior Research Associate” in the subject line.