Established entrepreneurs share their stories
Date: September 10, 2020
Tracye Turner, EVP/COO, Optimal Solutions Group, recently participated in Johns Hopkins University’s “Entrepreneurship Matters” series. Entitled “A Conversation with Entrepreneurs Tracye Turner and Tina Williams-Koroma,” the conversation ranged across a variety of topics and issues common to small business. The series is hosted by Alicia Wilson, Vice President for Economic Development at The Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Health System. The link to the talk is here: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=1025848981179027.
While both Ms. Turner and Ms. Williams-Koroma spoke of their particular challenges in starting new business ventures, some common themes emerged:
- Developing entrepreneurial skills as an “intrapreneur” in a corporate environment.
- The need for grit and determination in starting any new venture.
- The necessity of partnerships for getting a business off the ground.
- The opportunities and pitfalls of various funding mechanisms.
Tracye also discussed the evolution of Optimal Solutions, which itself is a successful entrepreneurial effort. In particular she noted the launch of two new digital productions:
- e-Editor: A site for identifying and assigning editors and proofreaders to suit your needs for independent contractors.
- e-508: A site for creating and modifying documents that are accessibility compliant.
The question-and-answer forum also included questions from virtual attendees at this Facebook live event.